Keep up with the Culture of Freedom

One mistake libertarians often make is thinking that political institutions are all that matters in the fight for a freer world. Political theory is indeed a great place to start, but it’s not the totality of a society. Much of what it means to belong to a particular community, be it a city, a club, or even a nation, has less to do with the bureaucratic particulars of that society, and much to do with the underlying culture.Screen Shot 2015-08-19 at 1.31.28 PM

But it can be a chore to keep up with the worlds of art, music, theater, and film, when so much mainstream cultural commentary has a distinctly progressive bent. If we want to change the world, it is imperative that pro-freedom voices join the conversation on contemporary culture.

One particularly low-cost way to get involved in this conversation is simply to start writing – for a student paper, an independent journal, a self-published blog – anything that gives you an outlet to voice your perspective. It can be difficult, however, to find a publication that welcomes politically diverse views, especially if you fall further to the right of the political spectrum.

So what’s a conservatarian on a thoroughly progressive campus to do? One option is to start your own publication. This not only gives you more freedom to write what you want, but is also a great way to gain some experience in project management and editing. And, through the Intercollegiate Studies Institute’s Collegiate Network program, there are resources available to help you get started! All you need to do is become an ISI member and apply to be part of the Collegiate Network, which supports independent college publications from a variety of perspectives.

TNC Not only does affiliation with the Collegiate Network give you access to funding, fellow young writers, and myriad professional development opportunities, but ISI also provides partner publications with free copies of the The New Criterion, a monthly periodical covering the arts and intellectual life. Founded as “an experiment in critical audacity,” The New Criterion aims to foster appreciation for those things that are truly great and beautiful in the world and maintain our societal commitment to true intellectual and cultural greatness. It’s a must-read cultural commentary for anyone frustrated by the politicization and nihilism of most modern arts and culture reviews.

Those who found their way to liberty through literature, will certainly appreciate the way that New Criterion writers shine light on those truly inspiring human achievements. But the greatest value to student readers is the opportunity to learn from the incisive and clever writers over at TNC, and then directly apply those skills to a new student publication. So, check out the New Criterion’s most recent issue for critical takes on everything from Harper Lee’s new book to recent MOMA exhibitions, and consider joining the Collegiate Network to get support for an independent periodical on your own campus!

Back to Blog

X