SFL North America: February 2016 Update

SFL North America: February 2016 Update

In an attempt to better share our current activities with our network, SFL is beginning an SFL Around the World blog post series. At the beginning of each month, each region will post an update to their regional blog page to share their current activities. Please stay tuned for more updates next month!

February was action packed with North American SFLers making a serious impact!

Kayla Garthus AwardNorth American Executive Board member Kayla Garthus won the Atlas Network’s $1500 student impact award for pitching her activism idea of a  “This Is Socialism wall”. Kayla’s campaign will highlight what life is really like when it is controlled by an all powerful government. Well done Kayla!

Students For Liberty Campus Coordinator Conor Fogarty was interviewed by The Post in Athens regarding conceal carry and gun rights in Ohio. You can check out the full interview here!

SFL’s North American leaders were also recognized in February for their outstanding commitment to liberty and freedom. Campus Coordinator Cory Massimino was nominated for Student of the Year, and SFLers Angel Lauver, Brandon Clements, Kevin Suarez and Sam Dunkovich were all given honorable mentions.  On the group side of activism, Students for Individual Liberty at the University of Virginia and Eagles for Liberty at Florida Gulf Coast were nominated for group of the year.

At Troy University, Executive Board member Jeremiah Baky was interviewed by his school newspaper on the topic of voting in the upcoming election. Not only that, Jeremiah hosted a mock “black market bake sale” to highlight the horrific consequences of the war on drugs.

Focus series

Lastly, our North American Programs team officially launched SFL’s Focus Series conferences! These single issue conferences will take place over the spring semester. The conference schedule is as follows:

1) Free Market Enivronmentalism, April 2nd, Florida Gulf Coast University

2) Tech Freedom, April 2nd, New York University

3) Free Speech on Campus, April 16th, Case Western Reserve University

4) Ballot Issues, April 30th, CSU Dominguez Hills

Please view our regional blog pages for updates on SFL’s other regions.

Back to Programs

X